City of Gweru Profile
CITY STATUS GRANTED IN: OCTOBER 1973
ELECTED COUNCILLORS AND WARDS: 18
POPULATION ESTIMATE: 171 000
TRANSIT POPULATION: 50 000
TOTAL AREA: 30 000 hectares
ALTITUDE: 1416 above sea level
RAINFALL: 690mm per year
- TARRED: 426,4km
- EARTH AND GRAVEL: 639,6km
- LOW DENSITY AND MEDIUM: 6000 units
- HIGH DENSITY: 30 000 units
- SECONDARY 13
- PRIMARY 20
- TERTIARY 3
- PRIVATE HOSPITALS: 2
- PUBLIC HOSPITALS: 5
- INSTITUTIONAL CLINICS: 3
- PUBLIC CLINICS: 7
- PRIVATE CLINICS: 19
Stands on Offer:
- Mkoba 21 High Density Residential Scheme
- Developers can purchase stands or partner with Council in servicing the available 6 484 (200-400m2) high and medium density stands.
- All stands are title surveyed and located 6 kilometres from City Centre
- Offsite municipal services available.
- Proposed Mtapa Country and Intercity Bus Termini
- This 10 hectare site is partially serviced and located 6 kilometres from City centre.
- Developers can partner with Council in developing a modern transit exchange terminal for long distance and intercity buses.
- Ancillary modern facilities e.g. shopping mall, public car parks, commuter ranks, passenger shelters and conveniences can be included.
- Central Business District Extension
- A total of 110 (1200 m2-10 500m2) commercial stands will be made available.
- Offsite municipal services are readily available.
- Stands are suitable for the development of shopping malls, office complexes and leisure facilities.
- Light and Heavy Industrial Stands
- Stands measuring from 5000m2 to over10 000m2 are available in the industrial areas located within 6 kilometres from City Centre.
- All stands are title surveyed and offsite municipal services, road and rail available.
Opportunities to partner with Council also exist in the provision, maintenance and rehabilitation of municipal infrastructure in the following areas:
- The roads network of over 1066km.
- The public lighting network of over 300 km.
- Water pumping, treatment and distribution. (2 water treatment plants and 3 booster pump stations).
- Sewage pumping, transmission and treatment (2 treatment plants and 6 pumping stations).
- For all industrial, commercial and institutional stands a half down payment is required with the balance payable over a period of 6 months.
- For residential stands, a minimum deposit of $500.00 is required with the balance payable over 48 months.
- For all stands, a development period of 6 years from date of signature of sale agreement is granted.
- Gweru City is centrally located in Zimbabwe and well connected with major road and rail networks and air services.
- A strong industrial base hinged on mining and agro processing industries.
- Abundant and reliable water supplies.
- The City is a major educational centre and has world class health facilities and other social amenities.
The Town Clerk
City of Gweru
Cnr R.G Mugabe and 8th Street
Telephone: 054 (224071-9)